Thursday, August 1, 2013

Peace Love Duckworth Reunion

Another Duckworth Family Reunion is in the books. I love my time with these particular family members. Such an unspoken, understood loyalty.
It shouldn't be such a big deal to have respect for people and their differing opinions and beliefs. But, it is something that has been hard to find in my neck of the woods.
Again, we all met at the cabins. We had a total of five this year. That was half of the cabins at the park. Myself, mom and the kids in one; Grandma and Aunt Carrol at theirs, Jenna, Aunt Shannon and Mason in the cabin behind me (John was planning to come, but work wouldn't work out!) Patsy, Josh and Trevor across the road; and then Penny and her group brought up the rear. It was really a colorful bunch!
We checked in, unpacked, decorated Peace Love and Happiness Style and the kick off began. Cousins' Night 2013 was in full gear. Of course, some can't hang with the big dogs and had to retire early. Others, not me, welcomed Sunday morning with a headache and upset stomach. I have no idea why, but I think plenty of Yeager was consumed. I really believe that Cousins' Night keeps Yeager in business. I must add that children are not present night. My kids stay home with their dad, as this is one of the two nights a year I can drink and not be responsible for them. So, responsibilities were taken care of for those wondering.
The next day, we all "pitched in" for the big potluck meal. We didn't have as many as we did last year, but we still had a good time with those who bothered to come. I mean, who passes up fried chicken, pasta salad, dessert and a piniata for the kids?
Unfortunately, after the meal, Bart had to leave for work. We finished off the evening with plenty of play time at the park, which was conveniently across from our front porch. My kids were filthy ALL. WEEK. LONG!
During our stay, we passed the time playing LOGO, riding bikes, enjoying the porch and just soaking it all in. A new part (others have done this yearly, it was our first time) was Grave site Day. We went and visited the graves of those that have passed on. In particular, Grandma Doris, Peytan's name sake. We took Grandma to a Bomber's game. It was so fun to see four generations enjoy something! I loved it. The kids ran the bases at the game. Gavin went for two laps because he said, "I wanted the baseball guys to come and get me." And they did! That made his night. Of course, we had to make a few trips to Santa's Candy Castle!
We continued with our practice of each cabin taking a night to host dinner for everyone at camp. We had some GOOOOD food. I think Penny's roast topped it with Caleb. I would say it was a toss up between that and Jenna's fajitas. This was such a good idea. You only have to worry about cooking one time and the other days you are a guest at the others' dinner table.
The week came to an end with our hay ride. We go on Friday night as a farewell to our week. It's just the icing on the cake for us.
A great week with great people. Next year, we have decided on a pirate theme. Ahoy Matey!
Grandma Doris' headstone

We didn't know this man, but these two were offended that he had weeds around his stone. Mom also caught Caleb saluting a WWII soldier when we were there. Talk about respect! Maybe I have done something right.

Peytan teaching Great Grandma how to play DS.

Dirty boy

Too good not to post.

No comments:

Post a Comment