Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Happy 10th Alecia Puff

For Alecia
The last five years of my life have been a learning process. You have taught me and required me to teach myself many new things in the time we have been together. But, one thing is constant, the love and loyalty you give to your family.
I will never forget the day we met. Terri brought you to the house. You guys came with cupcakes and sugar cookies that had football rings on top of them from the city bakery. You loved sweets. You still do ;) When I opened the door, all I could see was this gigantic smile filled with caps and spacers on this tiny, dainty body.
We came into the living room and you sat in the red chair with the dog. We all tried to get you to talk to us, but you would only respond with, "Chicken Head." That was your favorite word. Looking back, I think that not being serious was your comfort. It protected you. If you didn't let anyone see the real Alecia, you wouldn't be hurt when they left.
Looking back at how and why we met, it's all so bitter sweet. I love that you are here now. We wouldn't trade you for the world. But, we would trade your circumstances. Unfortunately, you lived a life of heartache and abandonment before you were brought to us. The family who was suppose to love and protect you, couldn't. It left a young child vulnerable and needy. No child should have to want to feel loved. They should just feel it.
But, we can't change the past. We can make sure your future is all that you need and more. And that's what we plan to do. Another persons' mistakes have turned into my blessings. If that is what I need to do in this life, then I will. I will come along and pick up the pieces and put Humpty Dumpty back together again.
And that is ok. Because I have the best Humpty Dumpty in the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment