Sunday, June 29, 2014

Struggling

For someone who is usually very level headed, I am struggling today. Struggling with absent parents, struggling with enough time, enough sanity, struggling with patience. All around just struggling.
I'm good with my kids. Good with where my family is right now. I actually have not felt more content or comfortable with my family of seven and where we are or what we are doing. The kids are settled and finding their hobbies and talents. Our bills are up to date. Our marriage is strong and steady.
What I'm having a hard time with is another child's rejection. A child who doesn't even belong to me. A child who doesn't even realize he's being rejected because he is so young and being with people who he doesn't know well is his norm. I am so infuriated for him.
Bonus Boy was asleep on the couch for his afternoon nap today. Husband was leaving for work. He was passing out hugs to the kids and dog when Bonus Boy, half asleep, rolls over to face the living room, extends out his arms and waves Husband over. Husband gives his a hug and tells him goodbye. Bonus Boy, never fully waking up, rolls back over to face the back of the couch and continues with his slumber.
Our kids, the kids of this world, deserve more. I can't think of anyone who will openly say they condone child abuse or neglect. But what are we all doing to fight it? What are we doing for the kids who we were too late to help? The ones who go into the system? Everyone wants to say what a good thing this is. Then step up! Do something about it! I keep going back when Jesus said to be either hot or cold, not lukewarm or he will spew you out of his mouth. (And I know that is realllllly paraphrased right there, but you get my point.) If you are not doing something against it, you are supporting it.
This is a call to everyone. If your brother, sister, niece, nephew, grandchild, neighbor, student, anyone; needs someone-be that person!
It's easy to say "Not my kid, not my problem." Wrong, they are society's kids. They will grow into this country's adults and become the voters, employees, parents of this country. Don't we want the best possibilities, the cream of the crop? These kids are your responsibility.

And as a side note, when you see a lady with several kids at the grocery store don't tell her she is crazy. Chances are she is the only sane one in her family.

No comments:

Post a Comment