Friday, March 22, 2013

Oskaloosa or bust

Spring Break is officially here as of 3pm! That means Oskaloosa, baby! No, it's not some little known white sand beach on the FL coast, it's a small town in south central Iowa. It's my grandma's town.
We go every Spring Break. As soon as Christmas is over, the kids start asking when we are going to Osky.
We were scheduled to leave on Monday morning, but the incoming weather has us leaving tomorrow. For some reason, being stuck in snow with five kids doesn't sound like a lot of fun. Eight hours just as much as the kids can handle in the car.
We hope to get back home before our FL family goes back to their warmer climate. Gavin sure does miss his Austin; they are best buddies.
You may think I am cray-cray for single handedly planning this trip every year, but I have a few tricks up my sleeve.
1. My kids have been so many times, they know the route like they know the addition facts. We hit 74 and head west. That is the long stretch. They are settled in by now and ready to roll. We keep the same route every time because they love to look for familiar land marks. IL state line; Danville, where we usually stop for gas; Peoria, where Grandpa was born; the big bridge; and I-80 with the world's biggest truck stop! It's easy for me to navigate and fun for the kids to have some knowledge of someplace so far away from home.
2. Switching seats. Those not in harnessed car seats will switch seats often. This is a change of scenery and riding partners for them.
3. DVD Player with a new movie. This time it is Wreck it Ralph. Cute movie with a good story.
4. For the first time, we are taking the DS's with us. Thank God for those. I was looking for a reason to take them away about a month ago so that they would be all new by now ;)
5. Wide variety of music. The funnier, the better!
6. Snacks, but no drinks! Snacks help pass the time (and keep their mouth busy!) No drinks. Frankly, well because I'm a get in and get there type of gal. I really try to make it with no more than two stops. I mean, file out of the car, restrooms times seven, file back in, buckle the littles. It takes 30 minutes for one stop to use the restroom! And it's a welcome sign for coats left behind, lost shoes, kids to strip naked in a public restroom. Yeah, we try to limit that!
That is what makes our eight hour trip as easy as can be with five kids. I may refuse to take them ALL to WalMart at the same time, but I will pack up a week's worth of clothing and go three states away without my husband in a heartbeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment