Thursday, March 21, 2013

Sweet and Sour... Delish!

I'm always looking for new things to cook. But I find myself limited to time constraints and budgets. It's not hard to cook for so many. But it is hard to cook good meals that everyone will like and doesn't cost a fortune. I often find myself cooking the same rotation, over and over. I have stepped away form my comfort zone and tried some way different meals lately. And most of them have been welcomed by the kids. Score for me.
Last night, I looked in Pinterest to see what recipes I had yet to use. I found this sweet and sour chicken that other pinners raved about. It's supposed to taste just like the real thing. But, it didn't have any strange ingredients. I thought it would be a bust! But, it was the polar opposite. Everyone loved it and went back for seconds!
Now, I doubled it and did three lbs of chicken breast. And using that much vinegar made me a little concerned. But, I followed it and it was spot on. I served it with brown Minute rice and steamed California blend. Excellent choice.

Chicken Breading
3# boneless, skinless chicken breast
salt and pepper, to taste
6 eggs, beaten
a bowlful of corn starch
cooking oil (eyeball it in the pan)

Sauce
8T. kectchup
1c. vinegar
1 1/2 c. sugar
2T soy sauce
a sprinkle of garlic salt

Start by making your sauce. You want it ready to pour as soon as your chicken is in the baking dish. Simply mix it all together in a large bowl.
Cut your chicken into bite sized pieces.
Start coating the chicken in the corn starch. (I had never used corn starch before and couldn't get over how fluffy it was. Little things!)
Dredge it in the egg to get a good coating on it.
Place in pre heated oil in the skillet.
Don't cook the chicken completely. Just enough to make the coating golden. Then drain on a paper towel. (I should have had two skillets going at once, it would have saved me on time!)
Place the breaded, fried chicken into a greased (I used spray) 13*9. Pour sauce over it. It won't cover it all and that is ok. Place in oven 325-350ish. Let bake for about an hour, stirring and recoating the chicken about every 20 minutes.
About the second time you stir it up, you will get the delicious smell! My house smelled like a Chinese buffet! It was ready to eat an hour later.
ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment